December 8, 2008 Leave a comment
With a few days off before exam preparation really begins, I’ve been able to devote a fair amount of time to Yet More Tower Defense. I spent quite a bit of time working on the menu system but I think given what I’m trying to put in feature-wise, it’s turned out to be a very worthwhile investment. I’ve essentially worked off the Game State Management sample which has proven to be a fairly powerful and extensible concept.
While it always seems like there are dozens of things left to do, my list is finally getting to the point where I can see the end, at least in terms of necessary features. Let’s take a look, if partially for my benefit in combining the many to-do lists scattered around:
- One more Hud component (showing upcoming wave details)
- High scores
- Help screens/instructions*
- Proper treatment of PlayerIndex
- Ensure storage best practices are working
- Full game purchase functionality
- One more tower type
- Two more creep types
The “Help screens” item has an asterisk because I think I will tackle this during initial playtesting, rather than before. I’m interested in seeing what people’s initial, unguided intuitions are.
Badges are something I’ve hummed and hawed about because they aren’t at all necessary for the game. I am suspicious of the average consumer’s opinion of unofficial acheivements, as I don’t think they really hold much weight. However, since I’m not making this game with an “effort to marketability” ratio in mind but instead to go through the full process of making a game, I’m going to implement badges. If they add something that consumers consider important, cool. I certainly don’t think they take away from the game.
After that list is finished, I get to start the long process of polishing and balancing. The most important aspect of this is going to be creating/finding some respectable graphics and sound effects. I consider myself somewhat artistically inclined, though in traditional media. I have a few ideas on this front that I’ll look into. I haven’t decided if I’ll throw my game into playtest before it gets final graphics in place. There is a blocking issue of Xbox360 performance, which isn’t quite acceptable at the moment (I develop primarily on PC, where the performance is flawless).
All-text updates are boring! Here’s a screenshot of the new Challenge Select screen:
I did find myself playing the game quite a few times over the past few days, despite the fact that the balancing is just placeholder values so the difficulty is all over the map. I consider this a good sign (: